Funerals & Remembrance Services
We understand the difficulties that are often faced during this time, therefore, be rest assured that St. John's works very closely with the local Funeral Directors to help you say goodbye to your loved ones.
Arranging a service is usually started by the Funeral Directors contacting St. John's to advise them of your wishes to have a Church service, that can accommodate up to 200 people, and to book our minister's time. Otherwise they are usually held at the local Crematorium. Therefore, if not already done so, please see a list of Funeral Director's below that will be able to support you.
St. John's is no longer able to offer a place for burials or interments with a memorial stone. What we can offer, to all residents of Woodley, is a place to inter or scatter the ashes of your beloved ones at the Garden of Remembrance, located at the front of the Church on the green. The name of the interred will be inscribed in the Book of Remembrance, which can be found by the war memorial at the back of the Church.
Bible Readings & Hymns
To help you with your arrangements, please see a list of bible readings and Hymns that many families choose. Please also visit the Church of England for further suggestions.
- John 6: 35-40
- John 11: 17-27
- Romans 8: 31-end
- 1 Thessalonians 4: 13-end
- All things bright & beautiful
- Be thou my vision
- How Great Thou art
- Love Divine
- Make me a channel of your peace
- O love that wilt not let me go
- The Lord is my Shepherd
Funeral Directors in Woodley
- A.B. Walker - Eldon House, 36 Eldon Road, Reading, RG1 4DL. 0118 957 3650. Visit website
- Co-op Funeral Care - 572 Wokingham Road, Earley, RG6 7DJ. 0118 966 7922. Visit website
- Cyril Lovegrove - 58 Briants Avenue, Caversham, RG4 5BA. 0118 321 9767. Visit website
- Miles & Daughters - Isabella House, 498 Reading Road, Winnersh, RG41 5EX. 0118 979 3004. Visit website
- Richard Lloyd - 1-2 Coppice Road, Woodley, RG5 3RB. 01189693033. Visit website